I am always asking myself, 'Why do I do this to myself?". It may be when I am out running. Or riding the bike. Or waking up hungover from drinking too much beer. These are my (lame) stories.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Uber Grato - Wed AM Trail Run

This morning's run was one of those runs where I realize that I have made the right decision with what I want to do this summer. It was almost epic!

I woke up just after 5AM to meet up with Mike at 5:45. I sent out an email to a couple friends saying "Why the heck am I up this early on my vacation?" The question was quickly answered by the trail.

Mike and I planned to run our new favorite 8 mile loop. We have run this route 2 times and never in the dark. We dawned our headlamps and headed into the dark. For some reason this morning I was more skiddish than normal - which made for all kinds of interesting noises coming out of my mouth as a few deer ran off in the distance, we hit a million webs and we heard some birds. In fact, there was talk of my creating a CD of Crazy Lulu Sounds - apparently I can bark with the best of them and do quite the monkey. Oh yeah.. we both do great at sounding like silly 12 year olds too.

The quote of the first loop this morning was definitely "I dont think we are on trail". But it always turned out that we were right on track. The field loop is very technical. Very. And also a lot of fun!! We made it through, crossed the creek and headed to the dam. We sat there for a few minutes - Mike under the waterfall enjoying the cool waters. Then up the Z and back to the start.

First Loop = 1:14:27

I had a powerbar and a protein water and left Mike to head into work (sucks to be you my friend). Then headed off for another lap. By now it was light out. And (much to Mike's chagrin) I dawned my iPod to run on auto pilot for another 8 miles. I had given myself an extra 10 minutes for the second loop assuming that since I was not running with Mike and I would be starting to fatigue I would slow considerably.

After a short pitstop at the end of the powerline (I am getting real good at this whole trail bathroom thing) I was back on the field loop. I felt really great out there and was just cruising along up and over all the rocks, stumps and roots. Got to the bottom and crossed over and back up to the dam.

This time I got to enjoy the wonder of the waterfall. Just sat on the ledge at the dam under the falls for about 5 minutes enjoying my water massage. I made it to the dam almost exactly the same amount of time that we did on our first loop. Then up the Z determined to finish my second loop in the same time. In the end, I cut about a minute and a half off the second 8 miles.

Second Loop = 1:12:58

We coined a new phrase on the first loop - Grato!! That is Lulu-Wiley speak for Fun. This run was UBER GRATO!!! I absolutely loved it. And I cannot imagine a better way to spend the first few hours of my second day of vacation. I am stoked on Rocky Hill next weekend and stoked on life in general. Maybe I can beat 2:30 at rocky hill. That would be uber grato too! Now.... now I go take a short nap until Charlie returns from his haircut and taking Coop to school.

Total miles: 16-16.5
Total running time: 2:27:29

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home